iPhone 3.0 Feature List
Macworld did a fabulous job covering the latest iPhone 3.0 Event where new SDK functionality was announced to developers. We figured we would put up our summary of what we understand this means in a quick bullet point list for people looking for the quick and dirty.
Lets start with some stats they announced.
- 80 countries in 2 years
- 10 million units in 2008
- 17 million units June 2007 – Dec 2008 (not including iTouch)
- 800,000 SDK downloads
- 25,000 applications in the app store
- 96% of applications submitted have been approved
- 98% of applications submitted are approved in 7 days or less
Here is the list of new features that we were able to confirm from the event. I am sure that there are more.
- New business models (Subscriptions and in application buying)
- Peer to Peer connectivity via Blue Tooth with bonjour support
- Accessories via dock *or* bluetooth (standard and custom protocols)
- Cocoa touch map control (no more having to roll your own)
- Core location turn by turn support (you have to provide own map)
- Push notifications (badge, audio alerts, text alerts) implemented like current sms alerts
- In app email
- Proximity sensor
- Built-in ipod library
- Streaming audio/video
- Shake api
- Data detectors
- In game voice (built-in voice chat)
- Search (spotlight)
With all this new functionality, a predicted June release and an AT&T trade-in program slated at same time leads us to believe that we will see iPhone OS 3.0 ship with next generation of iPhone hardware (presumably with 2nd camera for real time video conf) at WWDC at the end of June. We have already downloaded the SDK and starting to exploit these new features.